Saturday, March 14, 2009

Here is another non-card papercraft project, a stick fan. How many of you remember those old time fans used in churches before AC became universal? They were usually provided by the local funeral home with advertising on one side and a religious scene on the other. They helped ladies avoid swooning during long sermons on hot Sundays!

I bought some Perfect Pearls pigments which happened to have a long silver tongue-depressor type stick enclosed for stirring. Right away I knew I had to make a stick fan, using this thing for the handle! I made a template for the body of the fan and cut out two for front and back. Then I stamped some seashells along the lower part and freehanded swirly flourishes around the outer border of the fan. I punched out three white cardstock scalloped ovals, stamped a dolphin in each, and chalked a kind of apricotty sunset shade around the dolphins. Colored in the dolphins with pencils, then affixed the ovals to the fan imperfectly (I tend to eyeball rather than measure
. . .but doesn't that just make the project look more endearingly handmade? Let's hope so!).

After gluing the front & back of the fan sides together with the stick handle adhered inside, I finished off by tying a wide blue grosgrain ribbon on front. Voila! A nautical Victorian stick fan!

The shell and dolphin stamps are from october pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment